We are seeking skilled and creative translators to join the team. The source language is English and the destination language is Simplified Chinese. It is essential that the meaning is retained in anything translated, adding context to ensure the meaning of the original is understood as clearly as possible. The target language of applicants should be spoken Mandarin, and written Simplified Chinese.
"Transcreating" may also be part of the job, which is a mix of translation, localisation and copywriting, where the text is culturally and linguistically adapted to suit the reader.
UWAI Translators work on:
- Business profiles;
- educational material;
- Destination marketing copy;
- and some technical documents.
The translation process usually involves a combination of the following:
- reading through original material and rewriting it in the target language, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained;
- using our Translation Memory software to ensure consistency of translation within documents and help efficiency;
- using specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used;
- using appropriate software for presentation and delivery;
- researching legal, technical and colloquial terms to find the correct translation;
- liaising with clients to discuss any unclear points;
- proofreading and editing final translated versions;
- providing clients with a grammatically correct, well-expressed final version of the translated text, usually as a word-processed document;
- using the internet and email as research tools throughout the translation process;
- prioritising work to meet deadlines;
- providing quotations for translation services offered;
- consulting with experts in specialist areas;
- supplying subtitles for destination marketing and information programmes;
- retaining and developing knowledge on specialist areas of translation;
- following various translation-quality standards to ensure legal and ethical obligations to the customer;
What to expect
- You should expect to work to an average daily output of 2,000 to 3,000 words.
- UWAI is a global business and we are happy to consider remote working and flexible hours. It is dependent on you to be continuously in contact with the team and meeting the role objectives. Contact with clients is limited and mostly by email, phone or post.
- The work involves sometimes intense concentration and pressure to submit translations to deadline.
- Travel within the working day and overnight absences from home are rarely required.
- Many translators will have lived in the country or countries whose language they translate.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying